First-time home buyers and qualified repeat home buyers in the Traverse City area can breathe a sign of relief as The Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 was passed last week! It has extended or created incentives to home buyers through April 30, 2010! Below is information taken from the official government website which can be found at http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/
$8,000 First-time Home Buyer Tax Credit at a Glance
The $8,000 tax credit is for first-time home buyers only. For the tax credit program, the IRS defines a first-time home buyer as someone who has not owned a principal residence during the three-year period prior to the purchase.
The $6,500 Move-Up / Repeat Home Buyer Tax Credit at a Glance
- To be eligible to claim the tax credit, buyers must have owned and lived in their previous home for five consecutive years out of the last eight years.
- The tax credit does not have to be repaid.
- The tax credit is equal to 10 percent of the home’s purchase price up to a maximum of $6,500.
- The tax credit applies only to homes priced at $800,000 or less.
- The credit is available for homes purchased after November 6, 2009 and on or before April 30, 2010. However, in cases where a binding sales contract is signed by April 30, 2010, the home purchase qualifies provided it is completed by June 30, 2010.
- Single taxpayers with incomes up to $125,000 and married couples with incomes up to $225,000 qualify for the full tax credit.